Friday, September 25, 2015

Beach Canvas

Thanks so much for stopping by! I have a project here to show you.  I can not claim to be the creator of this canvas.  
 
I was on a week long vacation to Myrtle Beach and we had ONE bad rainy day, so what do we do??  We go craft shopping :)  The unfortunate part was, we flew in so there wasn't much shopping to be done that we could take home.  It was a grand time (who doesn't like craft shopping).
 
As I left the Hobby Lobby in Myrtle Beach, I noticed a canvas with a beach scene.  We still had a day left on the beach, so I knew I could grab some Myrtle sand and broken shells (how many people really scoop up broken shells, LOL).
 
I bagged up sand and found all the broken shells I'd need to complete the project.  I had no instructions, just a visual to go by, so I really wasn't sure what all I'd need.
 
I started with an 8x8 canvas.  I apologize deeply for my photo quality in this post.  I was doing this in the evening in the living room, so the lighting quality isn't the best.  I wasn't even sure it would turn out... good enough to share anyways!  But hey, if this can inspire one person.. then I've succeeded!
 
 
During the 60% off an item sale at Joann's, I picked up some acrylic paint.  It had a nice little variety for what I was going to use it for.  I never claim to be a professional painter (I just like to have fun and try new things)
 
 
I painted the water with the blue (if I were to do this again, I would add some white in it to make it look lighter in color).  The only blue water I've seen like this is in the Cayman Islands, LOL!
 
I had no instructions to follow and I couldn't find anything on the internet about adhering real sand.. I decided to go with my favorite mod podge.  Again, if I were to do this again, I do not know what I'd use, but by the end you can see how the sand reacted to the mod podge.. It doesn't really look 'natural'.
Next learning process came when I did the sand in sections.  I would not do this again.. I would mod podge the entire canvas area and then spread the sand.  Mod Podge doesn't dry quite that quick, so doing the entire canvas you want covered would be my suggestion.

 
I layered the sand and had to fill in several spots several times.  I believe this was from me doing 'patchy' areas and not the entire canvas.

 
I added the fencing, star fish, sandals and broken shells from the beach.
 
 
 
It didn't look quite right with the straight line of shells.  So I went back and scattered some to make it less uniform looking. 
 
I think it turned out GREAT!  Of course, with any project you have learning periods.  I would make another and change up a few different ways.  It definitely isn't going to be hung in an art museum, but for me and to remember Myrtle Beach 2015.. it turned out perfect!
 
Thanks so much for stopping by!  I hope this can inspire you to do a project like this! 
 
~Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment